As the country steps into 2011, memories of 2010 as the ‘year of loot and Scams & Parliament deadlock’ will keep chasing our minds, trying to find answers. Congress continues to use its good offices to give a wrong picture & keeps confusing the common man, painting a saintly image of the Prime Minister , Sacrifice of Sonia Gandhi for giving up the Chair of PM , side-tracking the issues of uncontrolled inflation and other glaring national issues concerning the common man, and blaming the opposition parties of sabotaging the winter session of the parliament . Here is a short document that presents a factual picture, as to why the entire opposition ( and not just BJP ) is sticking to its demand for JPC & why is the Congress hell bent on opposing JPC, thereby sabotaging the parliament session ? Here are some of the facts;
- On 23rd July 2009 , the issue of the 2G scam was debated for 3 days in Rajya Sabha, & the Prime Minister still asked “What has Raja done” ? The BJP has always respected the people’s mandate and demonstrated highest regard to the constitution and safe guarded national interests. We must consider that , In Rajya Sabha, where Congress is in minority , BJP worked with the Congress to get the Suppliers liability corrected, keeping in view the Bhopal Gas tragedy, and ensured that the Nuclear Liability Bill was smoothly passed . So BJP is not a party that will stall the proceedings of the house, leave alone a parliament’s session.
- According to the Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG ) Report , Raja’s opaque and ‘Speed Allocation’ ( Telecom companies were asked to deposit the drafts within 30 minutes !! ) caused a loss of Rs. 17,60,00,00,00,000.00 to the government of India . This is besides the Common Wealth Games loot of about Rs. 7,00,00,00,00,000.00. Total money in just two of these scams is to the tune of Rs. 24,60,00,00,00,000.00. Is the demand for the Parliament probe not a fair & justified demand for looking into the government functioning, that blatantly looted the nation of money and brought down the respect of the nation before the global community ??
- Despite the issue being discussed in Parliament , the Prime Minister did not act on the telecom minister , and the CBI kept its Masters ( Congress Government ) in good taste by registering a case without filing charge-sheets against ‘Unknown persons’ for this biggest scam !. It is clear that CBI had covered up the issue with its ‘Blame Free’ investigation. The scam and the ‘No response’ from the government was such a blatant ignorance that, on October 29, 2010, the Supreme Court had slammed the CBI for its “slipshod” investigations into the 2G spectrum allocation issue and even wondered how Mr. Raja was continuing in office.! We know what had happened in the case of Jessica Lal , where the investigation lead to the outcome that , ‘No one killed Jessica’, and if the congress government continued in its way of dealing this issue , the massive loot of the state exchequer would end up getting lost into files and years and finally fade away.
- We must not forget that it was the Supreme Court that pushed the government to act, and then only after the entire opposition pushed the government, Congress had to sack Raja .
- We must not forget that All India Congress Committee, AICC meet in New Delhi on 2nd November 2010, on the eve of 125th anniversary of Indian National Congress did not even mention a word about corruption despite this glaring and shameless loot of the nation for lacs of crores !!
- The parliament logjam is due to fight between the Arrogance & Rigidity of the congress to not to have a JPC , (so that AICC can maintain the opaqueness of its dealings and keep doing the denigration of government institutions under its regimes to continue to loot this nation) , and the reports of the CAG , reason & logic of the opposition for a very basic demand to have a JPC , so as to set a strong deterrent & a lasting precedent to check the recurrence of these scams . On one side, the Prime Minister wants to appear before the PAC in complete disregard to the framework of PAC, and in addition , the government has decided to circumvent the JPC issue by asking the retired supreme court Justice Shivaraj Patil to probe the 2G scam. If the government is serious about bringing the guilty to book, why is congress shying away from JPC, which will also have a congress nominee to lead . But the fear of the Prime Minister stems from the fact that, in the JPC , there will be representation from all the parties as per the strength of the house in parliament .Congress is well aware , PAC does not have necessary mandate & is restricted , & even if PM presents his views to the PAC, it is not of much consequence . The fact is that , every time governmental transactions take place, CAG goes into those transactions. The CAG is like an internal auditor; it produces an audit report. The PAC’s jurisdiction stems from CAG only. It is restricted. The magnitude of this issue is far greater. Politics, government formation, policy formation, portfolio allocation distribution, people learning of the government’s policy days in advance–these are not auditing matters, they are not accounting entries which PAC can go into. CBI can only determine the criminality of the issue; as to retired judges giving reports on policy, Then you have a PAC with a limited jurisdiction. The only body which can look into all institutional ailments is, the JPC. That’s why the entire Opposition and not just the BJP is asking for a JPC probe. But BJP is firm that it will not give in and bow in to the tactics from Congress
- Karnataka comparison with 2G scam and the reality ? Issues have been raised with regard to certain land transactions and land allotments. It has been an established practice according to which, the state chief ministers have the authority with regard to some discretionary allotments and to the release of land which they don’t require. Now, whether this was properly done or improperly done, questions can arise, and have arisen. There are various mechanisms going into those questions: you have the Lokayukta going into those questions; a separate commission has been appointed. Our party president has said he is taking somebody’s help in going through those questions. The issue is not closed. BJP is committed to complete transparency in its dealings , and time will prove that no wrong doing was ignored and no wrong person was spared under BJP.
- If NAC ( National Advisory Committee) is needed , when a government with a PM & cabinet is functioning , why there should not be a JPC despite a PAC ? Congress must look into its double standards rule book, and then talk . BJP is a responsible party committed to highest values in governance for safe guarding the interests of every Indian
- Congress calls the opposition irresponsible, and Pranab Mukherjee threatens a mid-term election, if the opposition sticks to its demand in the parliament for JPC – Public knows who is black-mailing !!
Prepared by Rajendra Pratap Gupta for the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP)
Email : Office@rajendragupta.in